Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Day Spent Wandering the City

I have yet to really "see" Prague. I feel I only know the city passively right now; the sites I've seen were viewed while on my way somewhere else or while out on the weekend in Old Town. With teaching and law school applications there's been little time for site seeing, and I've decided to save most of the touristy bits for when my parents come to see me, as there's no point in seeing such things twice. Yesterday, however, I took Julian's advice; I packed a lunch and set off into the city. (Side-note, one of my dearest friends, Julian, has emerged from the California wilderness. Yay!)

I began by hopping onto the first tram I saw, and getting off when I felt like it. I ended up near the river, in a park with fountains and statues and lots of crunchy leaves on the ground. I'm very much enjoying my first real fall since I left Wisconsin at age 11. I collected some leaves and then went for a closer look at a pretty white building with statues on the front.

I continued wandering that part of the city, with no particular aim in mind. The lovely thing about the public transit system is, there's no need to keep track of where you are or how to get home. You just find a tram or metro station, look at the connections, and work your way back. I love finding trees in the middle of the city, and took this picture.

Next, I got onto the Metro at Můstek and off at Malostranská on the castle-side of the river. There I found a grand official-looking residence with a sweeping lawn and statues. I sat and ate my lunch, then looked at a display of posters from the Revolution. I saw a statue on the lawn of a woman weeping, framed by a little arrangement of trees.

Later in the day I found myself at a public rummage sale held in Náměstí Míru, one of the church squares. I bought earrings and a little figurine for 65Kc. While there, I slipped into the church. Saturday Mass was being held, and observers were allowed in the back of the church. I stayed 20 minutes to listen to the huge old organ, the singing, and the Scripture reading in Czech. Pictures were not allowed in the church, but it reminded me of Easter: bright pastels and lots of gilding, shimmering lights and singing.

My wanderings later led me to this forlorn old building. It is obviously being renovated, but for the present it is just empty and sad, its facade stripped off and its innards lying in the street and piled in a dumpster. Perhaps I'll find it again months from now, proud in new paint and occupied by people.

All in all, it was pleasant quiet day. I avoided most of the touristy places and enjoyed seeing more of the city. My favorite things were the statue on the lawn and the leaves in the park. I'm going to take a book to that park soon and enjoy the fall weather. But for now, it's back to law school applications!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Andrea!
    My name is Erica and I got your info from my step mom who got it from your friend Katie.
    I am going to teach English in the Czech Republic for a year as well! I leave July 17, 2010. I would love to talk with you more about all your experiencing. I have a blog as well. I look forward to reading your blog when I have some more time.

    ReplyDelete